Thursday

Winter Weather Predictions For 2009

So what are the experts predicting as far as a winter weather predictions for the upcoming year. I don't know what they have predicted so far but what I have managed from the few times I have caught the weather the northern part of the United States got hammered with some pretty significant snow. I see where Las Vegas even received an unusually heavy amount of snow. Does it even snow there at all? I usually don't look to far ahead as far as the weather is concerned because I find many times the weather is just plain wrong or is far enough off on their predictions that it doesn't really matter what they are forecasting. I do try to pick up a copy of the Farmers Almanac although I usually do that more for the other interesting things I find in there than for their actual weather predictions.

So checking the National Weather Services long range forecast (December-February) they seem to believe that after a rough start to the winter season things should start to calm down and it should be a pretty normal year weather wise. So if you are used to snow and cold that is probably what you will get. That means for my area here in the Midwest we should see about a foot of snow if everything holds to it's normal pattern. I've lived long enough to know that with winter weather predictions and predictions about anything as far as that goes they can be very wrong.

The National Weather Service did make special mention of the fact that areas that have been drier than normal the last five years will probably not see any relief this winter in the form of above average precipitation. Makes you wonder sometimes about the things we take for granted here in the United States such as water, an abundance of food and electricity. I know some areas of the country are right now experiencing power outages. We went through that last year for about eight days. Fortunately for us we had purchased a generator years ago and used it for the first time during that period. Seemed like a waste of money at the time but it did turn out to be a life saver.

Oh well whatever winter weather predictions the expert have come out with I plan to make the most of this winter and enjoy it like I do any other season. So here's to cold temperatures and long evenings in doors. Without them we would no appreciate spring and all it has to offer. Some of my earlier post have mentioned things to do to help get through the winter months. Take advantage of them and enjoy yourself. Whether you winter is filled with mountains of snow or hardly a skiff of the white stuff be careful when driving. If need get yourself a good set of snow tires. In the midwest where I live whenever I need tires Manhattan KS tire dealers are friendly, courteous and always willing to help me find just what I need.